Thursday, April 1, 2010

Early Nineties







My good mate Perry emailed over these pics from about '92/93, or there abouts I reckon. Me on my Norton Domi 99 cafe racer and my bruvs, the Mean Fuckers Motorcycle Club in London on a day out to Brands Hatch. I can't remember what was in the army bag strapped to my petrol tank, probably a whole load of cheap crappy tools 'cos my bike broke on a regular basis. We went to Brands for what was then the Festival Of 1000 bikes. This used to be a great event, if only because we got to take our bikes out on the track for a few 'parade' laps, along with a lot of old geezers wobbling round on their over restored Bonnevilles. Me and Perry ( on his Triton ) used to hang back by about a lap behind the pack and pretend we had something wrong with the bikes. We would keep looking down at our engines as we crawled around the circuit fiddling with the carbs or whatever. Then on the last couple of laps we would get on it big time and race each other, getting cranked right over on Brand's super smooth fast curves and really pushing the bikes. One time Perry went round me on the outside at Clearways and ended up on the grass, scared the shit out of me it did, he didn't seem too bothered. How he held the bike upright and got back on the track off the grass in one piece I will never know. Anyways, by the time we had caught up with the herd the track marshals would be yelling all sorts of obscenities and generally freaking out. Good times.

7 comments:

  1. That is truly awesome. My father-in-law introduced me to Festival 1000 bikes and old British Iron about 7 years ago. I'm guessing I'm about 10 years too late.

    Me on his pride & joy Velo:
    http://huub.co.uk/dice/velo.jpg

    And waiting to go out on his Norton:
    http://huub.co.uk/dice/norton.jpg

    Love to own my own Triton. Hopefully somebody might want to swap my Daytona 675 for a "project".

    Keep the faith.
    DiK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ace..Bazzer would definitely have been proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see an early eighties superbike and a Andy Sparrow t-shirt in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunday Mornings ... Mikes Cafe ... Hangover ... Good times all round.

    ReplyDelete