Monday, October 8, 2012

Steam.























When I was a small boy I was fascinated by all things with wheels and an engine. It didn't matter if it had 12 wheels or 2. I still am. My dad had a Hornby clockwork train set that he in turn had as a boy. My brother and I spent many happy times playing with that thing. So when I had the opportunity to take my 3 nephews, aged 5 through to 8, to the Bluebell Railway in Sussex I jumped at the chance. To say I was way more excited than they were is an understatement. Standing on the fully restored station platform eating a bag of salt and vinegar laden chips and watching the steam trains come and go made for a truly wonderful afternoon. Man, nostalgia is a powerful thing.

4 comments:

  1. Were you as excited as this guy?
    http://youtu.be/6lutNECOZFw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, not quite. I do kind of like that guy tho.

      Delete
  2. Neat post mate and beautifully encapsulated, wheels, engine, you got me . . . always found it sorta ironic how the one time fastest steam train in the world was called 'The Mallard' . . . when thinking of very fast things I always think of ducks first up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry is available for all your train nostalgia needs - he told me yesterday he wanted to be a conductor

    ReplyDelete